Latest Tornado well delivers for Talos

June 4, 2021
Talos Energy Inc.’s Tornado Attic well has discovered pay in the Green Canyon area of the Gulf of Mexico.

Offshore staff

HOUSTONTalos Energy Inc.’s Tornado 3 side track well (Tornado Attic) discovered pay in the Green Canyon area of the Gulf of Mexico.

The Tornado Attic well was designed to optimize recovery and was drilled about 4,500 ft (1,372 m) from the Tornado water flood injection well and 1,550 ft (472 m) away from the closest existing producer well.

The Seadrill drillship West Neptune drilled the well which encountered about 85 ft (26 m) of true vertical thickness pay in the B6 Upper Zone with rock properties and reservoir consistent with internal modeling and pre-drill expectations. The company said it will immediately move to the completion phase.

As a result of the existing infrastructure in place and accelerated completion timeline, production is expected by 3Q 2021, ahead of initial expectations. Talos expects the Attic Well to produce approximately 8,000-10,000 boe/d gross (about 80% oil) once online.

The Tornado field was discovered in 2016 and is about 3 mi (4.8 km) south of the company’s Phoenix complex, which was acquired in 2013 and uses the HP-I floating production facility. To date the Tornado field has produced about 34 MMboe gross, approximately 80% of which is oil.

In 2020, Talos initiated the intra-well waterflood project, drilling an injection well which sources water from a large aquifer above the producing B-6 Sand. Known as a “dump flood,” the project is one of the first of its kind in a subsea, deepwater environment, the company claimed. The higher pressured aquifer naturally injects over 20,000 b/d of water into the lower pressured producing reservoir at the downdip boundary of the geological formation. This creates reservoir energy to help maintain production and increase ultimate recovery throughout the Tornado field.

Talos is the operator and holds a 65% working interest in the Tornado field. Kosmos Energy holds the remaining 35% working interest.