Talos brings Tornado Attic well online

July 26, 2021
Talos Energy Inc. has issued an update on its operations in the US Gulf of Mexico.

Offshore staff

HOUSTONTalos Energy Inc. has issued an update on its operations in the US Gulf of Mexico.

The company estimates that average production for 2Q 2021 was about 66,000 boe/d net, and approximately 69% oil and 76% liquids.

In mid-July 2021, it executed completion operations and achieved first production from the Tornado Attic well. The well is currently producing above the previously estimated 8-10,000 boe/d range.

The company also increased injection rates in the structurally downdip Tornado injector well. It is now injecting at a rate of more than 30,000 b/d of water into the producing B-6 formation. The project is the first intra-well waterflood of its kind in a deepwater subsea environment. It is intended to increase overall production and recovery efficiency through the existing subsea producing wells.

Talos is the operator and holds a 65% working interest. Kosmos Energy holds the remaining 35% intertest.

The Crown and Anchor side track well at Viosca Knoll block 960 was drilled to a true vertical depth of about 13,000 ft (3,962 m) and encountered approximately 50 ft (15 m) of net TVD oil pay in the M62 Middle Miocene target horizon. The project has moved to the completion phase and will produce through existing subsea infrastructure to the Marlin TLP. First production is targeted by late 3Q 2021.

Talos holds a 34% working interest in the project along with Beacon Offshore Energy (operator) and Ridgewood Crown & Anchor LLC.