US, GoM -- Shell Offshore Inc. and partners plan to install a spar to develop a series of fields located along the Perdido Foldbelt in what the company considers the deepest water depth in the world for this type of facility. The host will be moored in Alaminos Canyon in around 8,000 ft of water.
The regional DVA (direct vertical access) spar will commingle production from the Great White, Tobago, and Silvertip fields. First production from the fields is expected around the turn of the decade, according to the operator. Great White will be the first to come onstream.
The concept for regional development includes a 130,000-boe/d processing hub in Alaminos Canyon block 857 near the Great White discovery that incorporates drilling, gathering, processing, and exporting capabilities within a 30-mi radius of the facility.
"The Perdido Foldbelt is remote and is located in ultra-deep waters from about 7,500-10,000 ft, with rugged seafloor terrain," explains Marvin Odum, Executive VP, EP Americas. "This geologic setting is different from what has previously been produced in the Gulf of Mexico and will establish the first production from the Lower Tertiary (Paleogene) play in the region."
Shell will operate the Perdido regional host. It will be jointly owned by Shell (35%), Chevron (37.5%), and BP (27.5%). The Shell-operated Great White field is located in Alaminos Canyon blocks 812, 813, 814, 857, 900, and 901 and is owned by Shell (33.34%), Chevron (33.33%), and BP (33.33%).
The Shell-operated Tobago field is located in Alaminos Canyon bock 859 in approximately 9,600 ft of water. Shell holds a 32.5% working interest in the field, Chevron (57.5%), and Nexen (10%).
The Shell-operated Silvertip field is located in Alaminos Canyon block 815 in around 9,200 ft of water. Shell holds a 40% working interest in the field and Chevron owns the remaining 60%.