SSTB 2015: Saab showcases hybrid AUV/ROV technology
Saab officials discussed the latest features and applications of its Seaeye Sabertooth hybrid AUV/ROV technology at the Subsea Tieback Forum & Exhibition being held at the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center in New Orleans.
NEW ORLEANS – Saab officials discussed the latest features and applications of its Seaeye Sabertooth hybrid AUV/ROV technology at the Subsea Tieback Forum & Exhibition being held at the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center in New Orleans.
Company officials explained that the Seaeye Sabertooth is a merger of the Double Eagle SAROV (Saab autonomous remotely operated vehicles) and Saab Seaeye technologies, resulting in a hovering hybrid AUV/ROV with deepwater capability, long excursion range and 6° of freedom control system.
Seaeye Sabertooth is available in a single hull and a double hull version. This makes it a very powerful but lightweight platform for both inspection and light IRM tasks.
Its small size, tether-free operation and maneuverability gives easy and safe access inside complex structures, making it ideal for autonomous inspection, maintenance and repair of subsea installations and offshore survey work, company officials said.
Seaeye Sabertooth features include:
- Operational depth of 1,200 msw (3,000 msw)
- Battery power allowing long range operations, with either full operator control via a thin fiber-optic tether or autonomous operation (with operator control in proximity of targets)
- Full AUV functionality with obstacle avoidance, behavior based control and underwater docking capability
- Redundant fault tolerant control system
- Non-invasive self-diagnostics
- Advanced autopilots: heading, depth, pitch, roll, stabilization, altitude, station keeping, vector transition, obstacle avoidance and sonar target tracking
- Remote internet interface for base and Seaeye technical support
- The system is designed to be at a docking station 24/7 for more than six months without maintenance, eliminating the cost of surface vessels.
Saab Seaeye is exhibiting at booth #1029.