SBM advancing construction of latest Guyana, Brazil FPSOs

Feb. 10, 2022
SBM Offshore has issued a progress report on various FPSO construction programs in its latest results statement.

Offshore staff

MONACOSBM Offshore has issued a progress report on various FPSO construction programs in its latest results statement.

The third stage flash gas compressor on the Liza Destiny, which operates on the Liza field offshore Guyana, remains stable and continues to operate. Engineering is in progress on a re-designed flash gas compressor, which should be installed around mid-year.

The FPSO Liza Unity for Liza Phase 2 arrived in Guyana last October 2021. Hook-up and installation campaigns have finished; operations readiness activities are progressing; and first oil should follow during the current quarter.

Fabricated modules for Petrobras’ FPSO Sepetiba have arrived at the yard in China.

As for the FPSO Prosperity, the third floater for the Stabroek block off Guyana, work in dry dock is on schedule with the installation of the mooring systems. First topsides modules should be completed and lifted in the current quarter, with first oil anticipated in 2024.

Topsides fabrication is under way at all the yards involved in construction of the FPSO Almirante Tamandaré.

Construction is also progressing of the Fast4Ward MPF hull for the FPSO Alexandre de Gusmão, along with procurement of equipment.

Two more of SBM’s Fast4Ward MPF hulls are under construction, with projects yet to be allocated.

Last month the company completed an agreement to sell its diving support and construction vessel SBM Installer to Asso Group.

SBM has signed another agreement with PTTEP concerning a six-year lease extension to the lease and operate contracts for the FPSO Kikeh offshore Malaysia through January 2028. SBM has 49% equity ownership of the lease and operating companies related to the vessel, with MISC Berhad owning the remaining 51%.

The FPSO Cidade de Anchieta, which operates for Petrobras at the Jubarte field in the Campos basin offshore Brazil, has been shut down since Jan. 22, after oil was detected close to vessel. Subsequent anti-pollution measures were effective, and the situation is said to be under control, with temporary repairs implemented to the hull.

Operations will resume once the authorities have approved an agreed action plan.

Through its New Energies value platform, SBM Offshore continues to invest in technology for floating offshore wind (FOW). The company is positioning itself as a turnkey technology provider to developers with a view to having at least 2 GW of FOW installed or under construction by 2030.

The company’s first pilot project, drawing on its experience in EPCI of floating solutions and mooring systems, involves the construction of three floating offshore wind substructures for the 25-MW Provence Grand Large (PGL) project in the Mediterranean Sea off southern France, owned jointly by EDF Renewables and Maple Power.

Structure fabrication and assembly work is in progress at various sites specializing in large scale, complex steel structural works. The PGL project is due to be commissioned by 2023.

SBM is also developing its second-generation mooring system, Float4Wind, based on tension leg platform (TLP) technology and said to benefit from a simpler design that facilitates procurement and construction while improving the design’s cost base.

The TLP mooring technology can lead to a reduced impact on the seabed, the company claims. In addition, it is scalable to accommodate (much) larger-capacity turbines and is said to withstand harsher environments in deeper water.

SBM is participating as co-developer in two current FOW projects. Project Llŷr, in UK waters, comprises two offshore sites for the development of two projects, each up to 100 MW, and has received a notice of intent from the UK’s Crown Estate to grant leases subject to a Habitats Regulations Assessment.

The Cademo project offshore California is a 60-MW demonstrator which at the end of last year entered the environmental review stage. The company has also started development activities in other countries, taking early mover positions.

Finally, the company is progressing its S3 wave energy converter prototype project at its R&D laboratory. Site work and component qualification are under way.