HOUSTON, June 18 -- Partners in Sable field off South Africa have sanctioned its development, said Pioneer Natural Resources Co., Irving, Tex.
Soekor E&P Pty. Ltd. plans to begin production in the first quarter of 2003.
The field, in 100 m of water 95 km off the country's southern coast, will be developed using six subsea wells tied back to a floating production, storage, and offloading vessel owned by Bluewater (UK) Ltd.
The contract calls for Bluewater to provide and operate Glas Dowr, an FPSO capable of processing 60,000 b/d of oil, reinjecting 80 MMcfd of gas, and recovering gas liquids. Bluewater is also responsible for associated shuttle tanker operations.
The field should produce up to 40,000 b/d of oil initially. At first, associated gas will be reinjected to improve liquids recovery, but could be produced later, perhaps as part of a larger gas development project being evaluated, said Pioneer.
Pioneer owns 35% of Sable, Soekor owns 60%, and Petroleum Ltd. owns 5%.
Pioneer also said it tested the E-BB2 gas well 120 km south of Mossel Bay and found more than 325 ft of gas-bearing sand in five primary zones.
Three zones were perforated and tested; two exhibited low permeability, but the third zone flowed at a sustained 10 MMcfd of gas and 800 b/d of liquids. Pioneer operates the well with 40%. Soekor has the remaining 60% and is the designated operator of the tract.
Pioneer is also preparing to drill an appraisal well to its Boomslang discovery along the southern flank of the Bredasdorp basin. The Boomslang No. 2 well is 2 km southwest of the discovery well. Pioneer operates with 49%, and Soekor owns 51%.