This year the Centre received close to 200 applications from companies in more than 35 countries, with strong representation from the UK, US, and Canada.
Each of the start-ups will get up to £100,000 ($130,000) to develop their business and technology as part of a 16-week accelerator program that will include access to experienced mentors, development partners, and access to the industry.
On graduating, the ‘Pioneers’ will be able to join a 12-month incubator called TechX+, with two of the companies awarded an additional share in £130,000 ($169,000) funding provided by BP.
There is no requirement for equity or payback, and Pioneers retain intellectual property. The 10 selected are as follows:
• Vita Inclinata Technologies: hoisting technology that increases the operating envelope for cranes and helicopters, reducing weather-associated downtime.
• Resolute Energy Solutions: micro-polymers designed to fill gaps in well equipment, cements and the formation rock, fully blocking permeability and preventing the unwanted flow of subsurface fluids.
• Sedwell: low-power, low-cost wireless condition monitoring technology that provides real-time data to prevent hydrocarbon releases.
• Hydromea: mini underwater autonomous robots that collect and harvest data using high speed underwater communication and transfer.
• Mocean Energy: an autonomous, unmanned offshore renewable energy station to power ocean sensors, communication equipment and recharge sea-surface, subsea, and airborne drones.
• Sentinel Subsea: a non-invasive, no power alarm that monitors the integrity of suspended and abandoned oil and gas wells.
• The Big Swing Co.: a multi-phase separator to de-bottleneck and increase production from marginal fields.
• Print3dWell: a combination of additive manufacturing and 3D printed slickline tools for replacing costly well intervention methods, employing carbon-dioxide as a downhole power source.
• Green Mesa: software that allows emission profiling of assets and decisions to be taken for compliance reporting and fleet use.
• AI Exploration: a multi-phase system for real-time surveillance of single wells across an entire oil field, adjusting and automating production and trimming unscheduled downtime.