New drilling semis begin work off Brazil
Pride Carlos Walter.
Pride International Inc. said its newbuild semisubmersible Pride Carlos Walter began work on a five-year contract with Petrobras offshore Brazil. The rig is a self-propelled, dynamically-positioned semisubmersible capable of operating in water depths of up to 5,000 ft. The Pride Brazil, the sister rig to the Pride Carlos Walter, is completing acceptance testing for Petrobras in Brazil. The rig is expected to begin operations within the next few weeks pursuant to a separate five-year contract.
Semi sea trials
Ocean Rig's Bingo 9000 series semisubmersible Leiv Eiriksson is making headway on sea trials, which began in May. The rig's six thrusters have been installed, and inclination testing and a number of other technical system tests have been completed. There have been minor technical issues in the course of the testing period, but none have been serious. Conclusion of the testing was scheduled for the end of July.
Negotiations underway in mid-July were geared toward concluding a drilling contract for the Leiv Eiriksson by the time the sea trials were completed.
Fugro-UDI, Sonsub to operate new vessel
Fugro-UDI and Sonsub's new multi-purpose vessel.
Aberdeen based Fugro-UDI Ltd. and Sonsub Ltd. have signed an agreement to operate the newbuild multipurpose offshore support vessel Skandi Carla under a five-year contract. The dynamically positioned Skandi Carla, delivered in June, is the first of a new generation of offshore support vessels and will work in the survey, remotely operated vehicle (ROV), construction, trenching, and telecom market sectors.
One of the Skandi Carla's distinguishing features is a moveable mezzanine deck that can be used for the deployment of a second ROV or trenching systems. The vessel also has a 50-ton heave compensated crane that can deploy equipment to water depths of 3,000 meters.
One workclass ROV can be deployed through the moon pool using a custom-designed launch and recovery system that minimizes the effects of vessel motion. The 5.4 meters by 5.5 meters moon pool is enclosed in a large hanger that adjoins the main accommodation unit, providing a safe and protected environment for vehicle deployment and maintenance. The major advantages of the Skandi Carla ROV launch and recovery system are: heave compensation, extension of the operational limits in marginal weather and sea conditions, and the ability to close the moon pool hatch after the launch of the ROV. The vessel is 84 meters long, with a 20-meter beam, and has hotel capacity for 80.
Q4000 gets an upgrade
Cal Dive International, Inc. announced a preliminary agreement with the Amfels Shipyard in Brownsville, Texas, to further enhance the semisubmersible Q4000, which is in the final stages of construction. The Q4000 is a multi-service vessel specifically designed for well operations and construction tasks in water depths to 10,000 ft.
Owen Kratz, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Cal Dive, said, "Shortages of drilling rigs able to work in the ultra-deepwater have generated significant customer interest in having the Q4000 assist with well completions. Industry studies suggest that the Q4000 will be able to perform completion tasks on a subsea well in 5,000 ft water depth. ellipse Other advantages include the ability to perform completion tasks on temporarily abandoned wells with no mooring spread, presetting casing prior to rig arrival, and freeing up the drilling rig to start new wells."
Cal Dive is awaiting project approval from the Maritime Administration, the agency funding the vessel. The company expects the Q4000 to be available 1Q 2002, when construction enhancements and sea trials are complete.
CNOOC launches typhoon-resistant FPSO
China National Offshore Oil Company (CNOOC) Ltd. said the key facility for developing the Wenchang 13-1/13-2 oil fields, Nanhai Endeavor FPSO (floating production, storage, and offloading) vessel, was launched June 18 at Dalian New Shipyard. CNOOC says the Nanhai Endeavor, a permanent single-turret moored FPSO, is designed for typhoon populated areas, the first of its type in the world.
The vessel has a capacity of 150,000 deadweight tons and will play a key role in the development of the Wenchang oil field. Development got underway in June, and the field is expected to be onstream in the first half of 2002. Wenchang 13-1/13-2 is located in Yangjiang 31 and 32 blocks of the Western South China Sea, 85 miles east of Hainan Island. CNOOC holds 60% working interest, with Husky Oil holding the remaining 40%. Wenchang has estimated reserves of 60.6 million bbl .
Bollinger delivers supply/utility vessel
Bordelon's Wes Bordelon supply/utility vessel.
Bollinger Shipyards, Inc. has delivered the Wes Bordelon, a 145-ft supply/utility vessel to Bordelon Marine Inc. This vessel is the first of three nearly identical supply/utility vessels Bollinger is building for Bordelon, which is dramatically expanding its fleet.