Marathon awarded Kumawa block interest

Marathon Indonesia New Ventures and Indonesia Kumawa Energy have entered into a Production Sharing Contract with the Indonesian government for a combined 49% interest in the Kumawa block offshore Indonesia.

Offshore staff

HOUSTON -- Marathon Indonesia New Ventures and Indonesia Kumawa Energy have entered into a Production Sharing Contract with the Indonesian government for a combined 49% interest in the Kumawa block offshore Indonesia. Komodo was awarded the remaining 51% interest. Marathon Indonesia New Ventures will serve as the operator.

The Kumawa block encompasses approximately 1.24 million acres and is located offshore West Papua, Eastern Indonesia, in the Semai region, approximately 180 mi (290 km) south of the recently commissioned Tangguh liquefied natural gas facility. The Kumawa block is an under-explored area with water depths ranging from 2,400 ft (732 m) to more than 4,000 ft (1,219 m).

Current exploration plans for the Kumawa block call for the acquisition of 2D seismic followed by drilling operations.

05/05/2009

More in Regional Reports