WASHINGTON DC -- The US Department of the Interior's Minerals Management Service (MMS) has announced the recipients of its Offshore Leadership Award (OLA). The award is given annually to individuals who perform voluntary acts or services that assist MMS in accomplishing important objectives in the areas of offshore energy and minerals management. Their actions have led to safer operations and greater environmental protections, the agency says.
The following OLA recipients will be recognized at a luncheon held during the Offshore Technology Conference:
• Wayne Broussard, PSN/Grasso for the effective use of his outstanding "Now You Know" newsletter to improve safety and environmental performance
• A.J. Guiteau, Diamond Offshore Drilling Inc. for providing valuable insights into the "science" associated with proper test development, proper test formulation, and accepted test analysis techniques for the Subpart O testing program
• George Hagerman, Virginia Tech Advanced Research Institute for demonstrating outstanding dedication to the emerging renewable energy program by providing comprehensive, accurate, valuable, and educational information on offshore renewable energy technologies
• Ann Jochens, Texas A&M University for demonstrating exceptional leadership and a proactive approach in bringing federal agencies together to obtain and compile information about the whales' biology and behavior
• Paul Landry, Apache Corp. for excellent leadership and outstanding dedication in developing training programs to promote safe operations and regulatory compliance on offshore platforms
• Darryl Luoma, BP Exploration (Alaska) Inc. for outstanding leadership in the innovative and visionary approach to developing the use of extended reach drilling technology for the Liberty Development Project
• Alan Romine, John Seeger, InterACT PMTI; Chris Brooks, Merit Energy Co; and William "Billy" Poe, Explosive Service International for outstanding commitment and dedication to better understanding the extent and impact of ocean noise on the OCS
• Harlan King; Virgil Russell, BP America, Inc; and Al Gonsoulin, Petroleum Helicopter, Inc. for their outstanding dedication and leadership in promoting improved medical care and evacuation capabilities for offshore facilities.