Blind Faith flows first oil

Crude oil production has begun from the Blind Faith field in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico, according to Chevron.

Offshore staff

SAN RAMON, California -- Crude oil production has begun from the Blind Faith field in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico, according to Chevron. Daily production is expected to ramp up to approximately 65,000 bbl of crude oil and 55 MMcf of natural gas over the next three months.

Blind Faith uses a deep-draft semisubmersible hull moored on Mississippi Canyon block 650 about 160 mi (250 km) southeast of New Orleans, Louisiana. Blind Faith, Chevron's deepest offshore production facility, is in 6,500 ft (1,981 m) of water, with subsea systems in 7,000 ft (2,134 m) of water in Mississippi Canyon blocks 695 and 696.

The Blind Faith discovery well was drilled in June 2001 and encountered more than 200 ft (61 m) of net pay in Miocene sands at depths of 20,900 ft (6,370 m) to 24,300 ft (7,407 m). The field has an estimated gross resource potential exceeding 100 MMboe. Chevron operates Blind Faith with a 75% working interest; Anadarko holds the remaining 25%.

11/12/2008

More in Production