Hansa 3D seismic survey targets Dutch North Sea gas

MV WG Amundsen of WesternGeco has completed a 3D seismic survey for Hansa Hydrocarbons that covered three Dutch North Sea blocks.

Offshore staff

LONDONMV WG Amundsen of WesternGeco has completed a 3D seismic survey for Hansa Hydrocarbons that covered three Dutch North Sea blocks.

The program encompassed 965 sq km (372 sq mi) over4Quads blocks G18, H16, M3, and N1, 40 km (25 mi) north of the Wadden Islands and adjacent to the German/Dutch median line.

Hansa is targeting an extension of lower Rotliegend (Havel) sandstones that have been tested successfully in the German H and L blocks in which the company has a 20% interest. Analysis to date suggests that the 4Quads could hold some of the largest accumulations remaining in the basin, Hansa says.

Following processing and interpretation of the new seismic the company hopes to demonstrate the probable development of thicker Havel sandstones over parts of a mega-closure. Well locations could then be drawn up in 2015, followed by exploration drilling in 2016.

Hansa CEO John Martin said: “Operating a large offshore survey in such a busy area presented many challenges including environmental, military, shipping, and windfarm concerns.”

Due to the proximity of the Borkum Riffgrund Natura 2000 environmental area, the program was arranged so that seismic acquisition could not proceed if sea mammals were observed in the area (via visual and acoustic monitoring and the deployment of acoustic deterrents).

Martin added: “We are confident that the 3D seismic is the right tool to significantly de-risk this play. With conventional prospective resources in excess of 2 tcf of gas-in-place, the 4Quads is of strategic importance not just for Hansa but also for the Dutch economy.”

Hansa has a 60% operating interest in the licenses, the remaining 40% held by EBN, the Dutch state entity.

09/10/2014

More in Geosciences