Kosmos starts 3D seismic survey offshore western Ireland

Ireland’s government has approved Kosmos Energy’s request to convert licensing option 11/5 in the Porcupine basin to a frontier exploration license (FEL).

Offshore staff

CALGARY, Canada – Ireland’s government has approved Kosmos Energy’s request to convert licensing option 11/5 in the Porcupine basin to a frontier exploration license (FEL).

Acquisition has since started of a 3D seismic survey over the newly designated FEL 1/13, which has a 15-year term, comprising an initial three years followed by three four-year periods. It covers an area of roughly 1,000 sq km (386 sq mi) over blocks 44/4, 44/5, 44/9, 44/10, 44/14, and 44/15.

According to Kosmos’ partner Antrim Energy, the current survey, due to be completed by end-September, will be followed by seismic processing, interpretation, and geological studies.

Kosmos took a 75% interest and operatorship in the licensing option in April after agreeing to carry Antrim for the full costs of the 3D seismic program and to reimburse part of Antrim’s prior exploration costs. Antrim holds the remaining 25% interest.

7/18/2013

More in Geosciences