DOT 2013: Tubular Bells a fasttrack success for Hess
The Tubular Bells deepwater spar production platform is scheduled for start-up mid-2014, only three years from Hess sanction in 2011, making it a successful fast-track project, said Jason Olson, project Topsides Manager for Hess Corporation.
THE WOODLANDS, Texas - The Tubular Bells deepwater spar production platform is scheduled for start-up mid-2014, only three years from Hess sanction in 2011, making it a successful fast-track project, said Jason Olson, project Topsides Manager for Hess Corporation.
The Tubular Bells deepwater oil and gas field was discovered in 2003 and lies in approximately 4,300 ft (1,310 m) of water, 135 mi (217 km) southeast of New Orleans on Mississippi Canyon block 724. The production facilities will be comprised of a subsea wet tree infrastructure tied back to a three-level topside structure, with a living quarters accommodating 50 persons, supported by a classic design spar with an overall length of 585 ft (178 m) having 60-ft (18-m) of freeboard anchored by nine mooring lines.
The 7,500-ton topsides facility is designed for 60,000 b/d oil production and 135 Mscf of natural gas. The primary production is from a subsalt reservoir approximately 24,000 ft (7,315 m) subsurface and under approximately 10,000 ft (3,048 m) of salt.
“Nearly all the design and construction is being completed in the US,” said Olson. "While Hess is installing the SURF equipment, Williams will own the Topsides facilities with Hess having exclusive use rights for the first five years." Hess has a 57.14% working interest and is partnered with Chevron which has the remaining 42.86% interest.
“Based on the success of the first three wells, there are plans to drill one or two more wells, with drilling continuing through portions of the offshore work campaigns.”
“The (Topsides) fabrication is more than 85% complete,” added Olson.
The total cost of the project is estimated at less than $3 billion in overall capital cost.
Technip in Houston won the contract covering design, engineering, fabrication, and subsea installation of more than 28 mi (45 km) of flowlines, steel catenary risers, pipeline end terminations, and more.