HOUSTON – BHP has contracted McDermott International to perform the pre-front-end engineering design (pre-FEED) extension phase for a semisubmersible FPU that is expected to be installed at the deepwater Trion field off Mexico.
The FPU could be installed in a water depth of about 8,200 ft (2,500 m) at the Trion field, 19 mi (30 km) south of the US/Mexico border and approximately 112 mi (180 km) from the Mexican coastline.
According to the company, the pre-FEED extension is expected to create greater value for the project by concentrating on the optimization of the design and execution strategy.
McDermott was awarded the contract for pre-FEED services for the Trion FPU in March 2020. Its scope includes engineering tasks related to the configuration, sizing, and preliminary analysis of the FPU, including topsides, hull, risers and mooring.
The company will work in close partnership with Houston Offshore Engineering and Wood on the pre-FEED extension. McDermott will lead a single, integrated team to perform project management, execution planning, and estimation services.
Houston Offshore Engineering and Wood will focus on engineering optimizations. Technical support for fabrication and integration planning will be provided by the company’s fabrication yards in Batam, Indonesia, and Altamira, Mexico.
BHP is the operator and holds a 60% interest in Trion. PEMEX holds the remaining 40% interest.
McDermott is currently delivering the subsea umbilicals, risers and flowlines, transportation and installation and pre-commissioning of one jacket and topsides for BHP’s Ruby project offshore Trinidad and Tobago.