Murphy hits gas offshore Malaysia

Murphy Oil Corp.'s Kenarong Pertang #1 exploration well discovered natural gas in multiple zones. The shallow-water well reached a total depth of 10,500 ft in block PM 311 offshore Peninsular Malaysia.

Murphy Oil Corp.'s Kenarong Pertang #1 exploration well discovered natural gas in multiple zones. The shallow-water well reached a total depth of 10,500 ft in block PM 311 offshore Peninsular Malaysia.

"The news from the Pertang #1 well is quite significant coming on the heels of our Kenarong oil and gas discovery, also in block PM- 311," Claiborne P. Deming, Murphy's president and CEO, said. "In Pertang, we found low carbon dioxide gas in high quality sands in our objective section. In addition, we found three zones at the bottom towards the TD of the well that warrant further evaluation to confirm their hydrocarbon content,"

"We have temporarily abandoned this well and are looking into our testing options as part of our planned 2005 drilling campaign," he added.

The rig has now moved onto the Aring oil prospect 28 km away. According to Deming, when the Aring well has been drilled, the rig will return to Kenarong to begin an appraisal program.

Murphy operates PM 311 with 75% interest. Petronas Carigali Sdn. Bhd., a wholly owned exploration and production arm of Petronas, holds the remaining 25%.

9/14/04

More in Drilling & Completion