Talos outlines Gulf of Mexico drilling programs

Talos Energy has issued an update on recent events and well results in the Gulf of Mexico.

Offshore staff

HOUSTONTalos Energy has issued an update on recent events and well results in the Gulf of Mexico.

On Jan. 11, 2019, Talos acquired an approximate 9.6% non-operated working interest in the Gunflint producing asset for $29.6 million from Samson Offshore Mapleleaf, LLC.Gunflint is in Mississippi Canyon block 948.

Drilling of the first appraisal well of theTalos-operated Zama discovery, Zama 2, is ongoing. This is the first of three penetrations expected in the Zama reservoir. The goals of the first appraisal penetration are to (i) look for a full section of Zama sand in a downdip location, (ii) find the oil/water contact within its expected subsea depth range, (iii) understand the rock properties of the aquifer and its potential impact on recovery, and (iv) deepen the well approximately 1,640 ft (500 m) to test the Marte exploration prospect.

In December, the SS003 ST1 well, known as Tornado 3, was drilled to a total depth of 21,600 ft (6,584 m) and logged approximately 200 ft (61 m) gross and 130 ft (40 m) net of true vertical pay. Located in Green Canyon block 281, the well is expected to be online by early 2Q 2019, with an expected gross production rate between 10,000-15,000 boe/d. Talos is the operator and owns a 65% working interest, with Kosmos Energy owning the remaining 35% working interest.

The drillshipNoble Don Taylor, which also drilled the Tornado 3 well, is on location drilling the Boris 3 development well. The expected measured well depth is approximately 15,700 ft (4,785 m) and the well will be completed and tied-back to the Helix Producer 1FPU, along with the Tornado 3 well. 

The Boris 3 well is expected to be online in 2Q with an expected gross production rate between 3,000-5,000 boe/d. Talos is the operator and owns 100% working interest.

The jackupEnsco 75 worked throughout 2018 and will continue working through 2019 on a series of lower risk projects that tie into operated infrastructure. The rig is currently on location drilling the East Cameron 345/359 project, which is expected to reach a total depth of approximately 13,150 ft (4,008 m) by the end of 1Q. The well is being drilled from the Talos-operated East Cameron 345 platform, and, if successful, will generate near-term production growth.

In late 2018, the company completed the two-well program in the Main Pass block 72 (MP72) field. The A-8ST1 is producing about 1,000 boe/d gross, of which approximately 84% is oil (approximately 800 boe/d net) from the BA3 Sand.

The A11ST1 well, drilled to an approximate depth of 9,700 ft (2,957 m), penetrated three stacked sands and encountered approximately 130 ft of hydrocarbon pay (approximately 56% oil). The well was completed as a selective single in the BA5 and BA3 sands.

The BA5 sand will be produced first with initial production from the A-11ST expected in 1Q. The estimated rate for the A-11ST is approximately 1,000 boe/d gross (approximately 800 boe/d net). Talos owns a 100% working interest in MP72.

In 1Q, theHelix Producer 1 floating production unit will undergo a regulatory required dry-dock period. Regulators require the ship to go to dry-dock twice every five years. Therefore, in 1Q the company expects the Phoenix complex in the Green Canyon area to be shut-in for 45-60 days. The Phoenix complex includes the Tornado, Boris, and Typhoon fields.

In addition, the Pompano production facility is experiencing an unplanned downtime in conjunction with a compressor repair. The company expects to have production restored to its full capacity in the facility by the end of the month.

01/16/2019

More in Drilling & Completion