Latest offshore Tanzania well proves more gas in Mzia

Ophir Energy says the Mzia-3 appraisal well offshore Tanzania has delivered strong results.

Offshore staff

LONDONOphir Energy says the Mzia-3 appraisal well offshore Tanzania has delivered strong results.

BG Group operates surrounding block 1 with a 60% interest, with Ophir holding the remaining 40%.

Mzia-3 was drilled 6 km (3.7 mi) north of theMzia-1 discovery well. It targeted the main lower sands that comprise the majority of the field’s resource and upside in the middle sand package.

The well encountered 56 m (184 ft) of net pay in the lower and middle sands, and confirmed reservoir quality.

However, gas down to level proven in Mzia-3 is 107 m (351 ft) deeper than in the previous two wells. As a result, the recoverable resource estimates has increased to around 5.2 tcf (147 bcm).

Ophir CEO Nick Cooper said: “The Mzia-3 result…confirms Mzia as an anchor asset in the planned LNG development. Total discovered resources [inblocks 1, 3, and 4] are now comfortably in excess of that needed for two trains of LNG…”

11/14/2013

More in Drilling & Completion