African Petroleum looks to drill offshore Gambia

African Petroleum (AP) expects to start drilling the Alhamdullilah prospect offshore Gambia later this year.

Offshore staff

WEST LEEDERVILLE, Australia – African Petroleum (AP) expects to start drilling the Alhamdullilah prospect offshore Gambia later this year.

The company has a 60% interest in Gambian blocks A1 and A4, which cover a total area of 2,668 sq km (1,030 sq mi). The remaining 40% is held by Buried Hill via a farm-in agreement.

In December 2010, the acquisition of 2,500 sq km (965 sq mi) of 3D seismic data over the blocks was completed. From the processed data, more than 30 exploration prospects and leads were identified, including five different play types.

The four-way dip closed Alhamdullilah extends more than 24 sq km (9.3 sq mi), with five mapped reservoirs and a gross thickness of 1,000 m (3,280 ft). ERC Equipoise estimates prospective recoverable resources at 500 MMbbl.

Following detailed mapping that focused on a series of stacked submarine fan complexes, a well location (AH-1) has been agreed and well planning is under way.

The well will be drilled to a TD of 6,300 m (20,669 ft) in 2,300 m (7,546 ft) of water, targeting multiple reservoirs within the structural closure. Drilling is expected to start during the second half of 2013, subject to confirmation of a farm-in partner.

3/18/2013

More in Drilling & Completion