Production test successful at GoM Hummer well

The Hummer discovery well, Main Pass block 270 #3 BP 01, offshore Louisiana has completed flow testing, according to partner Petsec Energy.

Offshore staff

SYDNEY, Australia – The Hummer discovery well, Main Pass block 270 #3 BP 01, offshore Louisiana has completed flow testing, according to partner Petsec Energy. The company said it estimated the Hummer project to enter production mid-year 2017.

The well was tested over a 48-hour flow-back period, beginning Nov. 16. Flow rates were measured at restricted rates on variable choke sizes. Over the last three hours of the 48-hour test period the well flowed at an average rate of 19.88 MMcf/d of gas and 396 b/d of condensate through a 16/64-in. choke with an average flowing WHP of 9,753 psi and no formation water. Production rates continued to rise over the duration of the test with a maximum gas rate of 20.5 MMcf/d recorded.

The MP 270 #3 BP 01 well was perforated from 14,058 to 14,144 ft (4,248 to 4,311 m) true vertical depth in a Miocene-age sand reservoir. Well logs indicate additional potential reservoirs in the well, but a decision was made not to run additional tests at this time.

These untested sands will be targets of future drilling activity on the Hummer project. Significant production occurs for similar reservoirs along trend. Peak production rates from those intervals can exceed 25 MMcf/d and 1,000 b/d of condensate. After testing, the well will be temporarily suspended pending the design, fabrication, and installation of permanent production facilities and pipelines.

The Hummer discovery well is located about 50 mi (80 km) southeast of Venice, Louisiana. The water depth is around 215 ft (65 m). The well was drilled, logged, and temporarily suspended during 3Q/4Q 2015 and has awaited testing until a recently completed production jacket could be installed over the well.

TheENSCO 87 was used to tieback the wellbore to the jacket, complete, and test the well. The next stage of development will be to use the results of the test to design, fabricate, and install a deck section with production facilities on the jacket, lay flowlines and connect to existing oil and gas transportation systems. It is anticipated that this process will take about six to eight months.

Petsec’s Chairman and Managing Director, Terry Fern, commented: “This success is the culmination of an effort that began prior to 2010, when Petsec initially identified the prospect on 3D seismic data and continued through leasing and eventual drilling of the project several years later.

“Hummer is a significant oil and gas discovery covering a large prospective area and extending over portions of three offshore lease blocks that will require additional wells and facilities to define and develop.

“Although current information is limited from a single well and test, the indicated resource potential significantly exceeds the company’s pre-drill mapped target estimates.”

Petsec holds 12.5% working interest in the Hummer development project, which is operated byCastex Offshore Inc. Other private companies hold the remaining 87.5%.


More in Drilling & Completion