Karoon completes Kangaroo side track well off Brazil
Karoon Gas Australia has completed the first of two planned side track wells on its Kangaroo-2 appraisal well in exploration block S-M-1165 of Brazil’s Santos basin.
In November 2014, Karoon announced that Kangaroo-2 confirmed a 250 m (820 ft) gross (135 m/442 ft net) oil column in Paleocene and Maastrichtian aged reservoirs.
The objective of the side track well was to better define the resource size, recovery factors, and collect data in the Kangaroo field. This information will be used to build the geological model and early development concepts. Side track-1 was drilled to a downdip location to target the Paleocene and Maastrichtian reservoirs on the eastern side of an interpreted north-south trending fault, and to evaluate potential hydrocarbon accumulations in the Campanian interval.
The downdip side track penetrated the Paleocene formations on the eastern side of the fault with water wet reservoir sands being encountered as expected. It intersected oil bearing Maastrichtian reservoir on the east side of the fault as expected. Five reservoir fluid samples were recovered by wireline from a 50 m (164 ft) gross oil column in the Maastrichtian section with a net to gross of 36% and an average porosity of 24%.
One sample was opened on surface and contained 3 liter of 38° API oil. No hydrocarbons were encountered in the deeper Campanian interval. Oil samples and side-wall core plugs have been obtained using wirelines tools.
Preparations are under way to commence Side track-2, which will be drilled into Paleocene and Maastrichtian reservoirs in an updip location to test reservoir and hydrocarbon potential toward the salt wall.
Following the completion of all operations on the Kangaroo-2 appraisal well, theOlinda Starsemisubmersible rig will drill the Kangaroo West-1 exploration well (the second firm well in the program) to evaluate the salt-flank prospect on the western side of Kangaroo salt structure, about 4.5 km (2.7 mi) from Kangaroo-2.
The salt flank play was first proven by Kangaroo-1 with the intersection of a 76 m (249 ft) gross oil column and oil recovered to surface from wireline drillstem testing. Results of the Kangaroo-2 well further confirm the viability of the play. Kangaroo West-1 is located on the western flank of the same salt structure as Kangaroo-1 and has the same trap type and reservoir and seal intervals that have been mapped into the prospect from surrounding wells.
Karoon holds the operatorship and a 65% interest in Brazil's block S-M-1165. Canada's Pacific Rubiales Energy Corp. holds the remaining 35% interest.