Completing Tulipan wildcat

Statoil has found a small gas find on its Tulipan prospect in the Norwegian Sea. As operator for production license 251, Statoil is currently completing the 6302/6-1 wildcat there.

Sep 29th, 2005

Offshore staff

(Norway)-Statoil has found a small gas find on its Tulipan prospect in the Norwegian Sea. As operator for production license 251, Statoil is currently completing the 6302/6-1 wildcat there.

Small quantities of gas were encountered in early Tertiary sandstones at a depth of 2,600 m beneath the seabed. Statoil is currently completing a very extensive logging program in the well, which will form the basis for further analyses. The wildcat terminated in late Cretaceous rocks about 2,950 m beneath the seabed, says the company.

Drilled byEirik Raude drilling rig, the well is located in 1,260 m of water roughly 130 km west of Hydro's Ormen Lange gas development.

Statoil has a 90% interest in Tulipan, with Norske Shell holding the remaining 10%. BG Norge is acquiring 20% of Statoil's share, subject to government approval.

Eirik Raude will now move to the Barents Sea to drill on Eni's Goliat discovery before spudding an exploration well on Statoil's Uranus prospect.

09/29/05

More in Drilling & Completion