ADELAIDE, South Australia – Beach Energy Ltd. has made a gas discovery at Enterprise 1 in license VIC/P42(V) in the nearshore Victorian Otway basin.
Enterprise 1 was spudded from an onshore location, 3.5 km (2.2 mi) from Port Campbell and 8 km (5 mi) from the Otway Gas Plant. It was drilled directionally using an extended reach drilling approach to deliver a well with a 3.2-km (2-mi) step-out, to target a location within the offshore permit VIC/P42(V).
The well was drilled to a total depth of 4,974 m (16,319 ft) and encountered the primary reservoir target of the Upper Waarre Formation 89 m (292 ft) high to prognosis at a depth of 4,594 m (15,072 ft) MD (2,052 m vertical depth subsea).
The well intersected 146 m (479 ft) of gas column in the Upper Waarre Formation, including 115 m (377 ft) of net gas pay with no gas-water contact identified. Sampling indicates a gas composition with 10% CO2 by volume.
Beach plans to case and suspend the well as a future producer. A well test will confirm well productivity and provide data for the proposed pipeline to the Otway gas plant. Detailed engineering work and regulatory approvals process for the pipeline is under way.
Beach is the operator with 60% interest. O.G. Energy holds the remaining 40% interest.
The company expects to start the next offshore Victorian Otway basin drilling campaign in the March 2021 quarter. The Artisan 1 exploration well will be the first drilled, then development wells in the Geographe and Thylacine fields.