IPC starts new round of drilling around Bertam offshore Malaysia

The Bertam field facilities offshore Malaysia.
The Bertam field facilities offshore Malaysia.
International Petroleum Corp.

Offshore staff

VANCOUVER International Petroleum Corp. is drilling the first six planned infill and exploration wells on block PM307 offshore Peninsular Malaysia.

The company has a 75% operated interest, with Petronas holding the remaining 25%.

Initially two infill landing pilot wells will be drilled in the northeastern and southeastern parts of the Bertam field, followed by the Keruing exploration well and three Bertam field infill wells.

The first pilot well will test upside potential in the northeastern A15 area: depending on the result, a further infill well could be added to this year’s campaign.

A second pilot well on the southeastern A14 area will serve the dual purpose of confirming commercial volumes of hydrocarbons and acting as a landing pilot to de-risk development drilling.

The Keruing exploration well will target a prospect in the I-35 reservoir, 600 m (1,968 ft) shallower than Bertam.

CEO Mike Nicholson said: “These wells are targeting low cost, high value tiebacks to our Bertam field facilities.”

06/26/2019

More in Drilling & Completion