Topsides 2014: Weatherford showcases leak detection service

Weatherford Pipeline & Specialty Services featured its nitrogen and helium leak detection services for the offshore platform and floating production facility market at the Topsides, Platforms and Hulls Conference & Exhibition at the Moody Gardens Hotel & Convention Center in Galveston, Texas.

Feb 6th, 2014

Offshore staff

GALVESTON, Texas –Weatherford Pipeline & Specialty Services featured its nitrogen and helium leak detection services for the offshore platform and floating production facility market at the Topsides, Platforms and Hulls Conference & Exhibition at the Moody Gardens Hotel & Convention Center in Galveston, Texas.

Weatherford says it can provide nitrogen-helium leak detection in three ways:

1. 1% helium with remaining nitrogen (99%) from a cryogenic liquid nitrogen source, delivered to site

2. 1% helium with remaining nitrogen (95 to 99%) generated on site, using Weatherford membrane nitrogen MN2equipment

3. Vacuum leak test, whereby a vacuum is drawn on the system and helium is sprayed around the outside of the components tested.

Once mechanical completion is achieved, preparation for leak detection can take place. The system is isolated mechanically, and each potential leak path is sealed with PVC tape such that any escaping gas will accumulate under the tape.

At this point, a low-pressure test can be conducted with air or nitrogen to check for “gross leaks” and that the system low-point drains be checked to ensure that any free water is removed.

Detailed safety checks ensure that no personnel will be exposed to hazards and that the system is protected with pressure safety devices. In addition, adjacent systems are protected and establishment of safe depressurizing methods is confirmed to eliminate the risk of “trapped gas.”

The system typically is pressurized with a mixture of 1% helium and 99% nitrogen from either a cryogenic source or generated on site, using Weatherford membrane nitrogen MN2equipment.

2/6/14

More in Equipment Engineering