SLB, Aker Carbon Capture finalize carbon capture joint venture

June 14, 2024
The JV will offer wider adoption of new carbon capture technologies for hard-to-abate industrial sectors.

Offshore staff 

HOUSTON and OSLO, Norway — SLB and Aker Carbon Capture (ACC) report that they have finalized the closing of their previously announced joint venture. 

The new company is said to combine technology portfolios, expertise and operations platforms to support accelerated carbon capture adoption for industrial decarbonization at scale.

The new company will combine ACC’s amine-based Advanced Carbon Capture technologies, including Just Catch and Big Catch modular plant technologies for medium- and large-scale facilities, and Just Catch Offshore for offshore gas turbines, with SLB’s portfolio of technology solutions, including non-aqueous solvent and emerging sorbent-based offerings. 

The new company says that it currently has seven technology installations in progress that have the capacity to capture up to 1 million tonnes of CO2 emissions per year.

The new company will be headquartered in Oslo. SLB owns 80% of the new company while ACC ASA owns the remaining 20% stake.