Petrobras discovers first oil accumulation in deep waters of Potiguar basin

Petrobras has the first oil discovery on concession BM-POT-17 in the deepwater Potiguar basin offshore Rio Grande do Norte.

Potiguar Basin offshore Rio Grande do Norte
Potiguar Basin offshore Rio Grande do Norte

Offshore staff

RIO DE JANEIRO –Petrobras has the first oil discovery on concession BM-POT-17 in the deepwater Potiguar basin offshore Rio Grande do Norte.

The discovery was made while drilling well 1-BRSA-1205-RNS (1-RNS-158), informally known as Pitu, at a water depth of 1,731 m (5,679 ft), 55 km (34 mi) off the coast of Rio Grande do Norte state.

The oil column was confirmed through log data and fluid samples, which will be characterized by laboratory analysis. The well is being drilled at 4,197 m (13,770 ft) with a target TD of 5,028 m (16,496 ft).

Petrobras is the operator of the concession with an 80% stake, and Petrogal Brasil SA holds the remaining 20%.

Due to a farm-out agreement, in progress, and after obtaining the approval of the National Agency of Petroleum, Natural Gas and Biofuels (ANP), BP Energy do Brazil Ltda will join the consortium, and then interests of the partners in the block will be Petrobras, 40%; BP, 40%;and Petrogal, 20%.

12/18/2013

More in Company News