Judy Maksoud Houston
FPSO set for Brazil
Jurong Shipyard Pte Ltd., a subsidiary of SembCorp Marine, has completed construction of the 356,400 dwt Fluminense FPSO for Modec International LLC. The Fluminense was converted from an ultra-large crude carrier called the Sahara.
The FPSO measures 363 m x 61 m x 29 m and has a production capacity of 81,000 b/d of oil and a storage capacity of 1.2 MMbbl. The conversion required significant steel renewal and strengthening, extensive coating and cathodic protection, and installation of process skids, a helideck, metering system, flare tower, and deck cranes. The accommodations were also upgraded. The completed FPSO is fitted with the world's largest external turret mooring system at 1,300 metric tons.
Jurong Shipyard completes construction of the Fluminense FPSO.
The FPSO will serve under a lease to Shell Brazil Ltda. in the Bijupira and Salema oil fields on the Campos basin offshore Brazil. First oil is expected early in 3Q 2003. The vessel will operate at 780-880 m water depths.
Abo begins work off Nigeria
Prosafe ASA's Abo FPSO has successfully completed extended prod-uction testing on the Abo field offshore Nigeria. Abo began normal production following the test.
The Keppel Shipyard in Singapore completed the conversion from Suez-max to FPSO on time and on budget in less than one year from the date of contract award.
Abo will undertake an eight-plus-two-year contract for Eni subsidiary Nigerian Agip Exploration.
Fleet renewal in progress
Singapore's Chuan Hup Marine plans to carry out a fleet renewal program over the next five years. During that time, the company will reduce the age of its fleet to an average of 10 years and will enhance the capabilities of its vessels.
Chuan Hup also plans to add a new generation of multi-functional crew boats to its fleet, which will serve Southeast Asia as a primary market.
Contracts for Diamond
The Diamond Offshore Drilling Inc. semisubmersible Ocean Rover has received a letter of intent from Murphy Oil Corp. subsidiary Murphy Sabah Oil Co. Ltd. for 120 days following an upgrade of the semi to fifth-generation capabilities at the Keppel FELS yard in Singapore.
The Ocean Rover is to be delivered in 3Q 2003. When the upgrade is finished, the semi will be capable of self-contained mooring operations in up to 7,000 ft of water.
Diamond also received a drilling contract from Unocal Indonesia Co. for the semisubmersible Ocean Baroness offshore Indonesia.
The Ocean Baroness is scheduled to begin operations upon completion of modifications at the Keppel FELS yard to permit surface stack operations. The Ocean Baroness is a fifth-generation semisubmersible and, like the Ocean Rover, is capable of self-contained mooring operations in 7,000 ft of water.
PSV for Seabulk
Seabulk International announced the inauguration and delivery of the Seabulk Nilar in 1Q 2003. The newbuild 3,900-horsepower platform supply vessel (PSV) was built by Labroy Shipbuilding & Engineering PTE. Ltd. of Indonesia and will work for Total in Southeast Asia.
The PSV joined Seabulk's fleet of 10 vessels in the region. The Seabulk Badamyar, a newbuild anchor-handling tug/supply vessel, was added to the Southeast Asia fleet about a month after the PSV.
Ensco busy with upgrades
Ensco has agreed on terms for a joint venture with Keppel FELS Ltd. to acquire 25% interest in a new high-performance premium jackup rig to be built by Keppel FELS, Singapore. Ensco will have an option to purchase the remaining 75% interest in the rig before delivery and for two years following delivery.
The rig, to be named the Ensco 106, will be an enhanced KFELS MOD V (B) design, modified to Ensco specifications. The enhanced design will be called the "Bigfoot."
Kepple FELS' Singapore yard is also working on two other Ensco rigs. The Ensco 57 is undergoing an upgrade that is to be completed by November 2003. The upgrade includes leg and spud-can enhancements, changing of main engines, and the refurbishment of the quarters.
Remedial work on the Ensco 52 included installation of new cranes, installation of zero discharge system, and the refurbishment of the helideck.
The AmFELS yard in Brownsville, Texas, is carrying out an enhancement program on the Ensco 82. The scope of work includes enhancement to the rig's drilling capability comprising a new derrick, drawworks, top drives, third mud pump, and the refurbishment of its jacking, piping, and electrical systems.