Murphy extends deepwater Malaysia trend

Murphy Oil Corp.'s Kikeh No. 5 step out appraisal well further extends the limits of the Kikeh deepwater oil trend offshore Malaysia. The company drilled the well in 4,380 ft of water in block K, offshore Sabah, Malaysia.

Murphy Oil Corp.'s Kikeh No. 5 step out appraisal well further extends the limits of the Kikeh deepwater oil trend offshore Malaysia. The company drilled the well in 4,380 ft of water in block K, offshore Sabah, Malaysia.

The appraisal well was planned to test a new fault block adjacent to the Kikeh field. Pressure data from this well confirms the fault block is separate from the Kikeh field, said Claiborne P. Deming, Murphy president and CEO.

Kikeh No. 5 penetrated the equivalent pay section found in the Kikeh field and found oil in several sands.

Murphy also found an oil/water contact in the deepest reservoir, Deming said. Additional appraisal wells will be required to determine the extent of the newly tested fault block.

"For the balance of the year, we will continue to both appraise the Kikeh complex and explore the surrounding area. These are active times for us offshore Sabah as we and our partner, Petronas Carigali Sdn. Bhd., move toward bringing onstream Malaysia's first deepwater field by 2007," Deming said.

Murphy as operator, has an 80% working interest in block K, which covers 4 million acres. Petronas holds the remaining 20%.

09/12/03

More in Regional Reports