Hodoa proves Nile Delta Oligocene potential

BP Egypt has achieved its first Oligocene gas discovery in the deepwater West Nile Delta area, 80 km (49.7 mi) northwest of Alexandria.

Offshore staff

LONDON -- BP Egypt has achieved its first Oligocene gas discovery in the deepwater West Nile Delta area, 80 km (49.7 mi) northwest of Alexandria.

The Hodoa field was drilled by the semisubmersible Pride North America in 1,077 m (3,533 ft) water depth in the West Mediterranean Deepwater, Nile Delta concession. The WMDW-7 well was drilled to a depth of 6,350 m (20,833 ft). Further appraisal is in progress.

BP holds 80% of the concession in partnership with RWE Dea holding the remaining 20%.

Mike Daly, BP’s executive VP Exploration, said: “The Hodoa discovery further demonstrates the great potential of the deep reservoirs in the Nile Delta.”

BP has interests in 13 offshore concessions in the Nile Delta and is operator in six of them. Discoveries to date include Giza, Taurus, Libra, Fayoum, and Ruby in the Pliocene, and Raven in the deeper Miocene formations.

11/24/2010

More in Drilling & Completion