Karoon completes Kangaroo-2 side track offshore Brazil
Side track drilling has been completed on Karoon Gas Australia’s Kangaroo-2 appraisal well in exploration block S-M-1165 of the Santos basin offshore Brazil.
MELBOURNE, Australia – Side track drilling has been completed on Karoon Gas Australia’s Kangaroo-2 appraisal well in exploration block S-M-1165 of the Santos basin offshore Brazil.
The updip side track penetrated oil bearing sands in the Paleocene reservoir section, where five reservoir fluid samples were recovered by wireline from a 37 m (121 ft) gross oil column with a net to gross of 60% and an average porosity of 27%. One sample was opened on surface and contained 2.9 liters of 39° API oil. The remaining samples will be analyzed in onshore laboratories.
The Maastrichtian reservoir was water bearing where a second fault separates the up-dip Maastrichtian from the oil accumulations in the vertical and downdip side track wells.
Aquifer pressure data indicates that the Maastrichtian and Campanian sections in this well and all the previous Karoon wells are normally pressured. No gas cap was penetrated in any reservoir. The lack of a gas cap is positive, indicating no oil has been displaced by gas in the Kangaroo reservoirs.
Kangaroo-2 updip side track-2 was drilled to collect and evaluate information on the characteristics of the Paleocene and Maastrichtian reservoirs in the updip location, closer to the salt diaper.
The Kangaroo-2 appraisal well is located in exploration block S-M-1165, approximately 300 m (984 ft) updip and 4 km (2.5 mi) south of Kangaroo-1. It is the first well in Karoon’s Santos basin exploration and appraisal drilling campaign.
Side track-1 was completed in late January.
The Olinda Star rig will commence drilling at the Kangaroo West-1 exploration well (the second firm well in the program) to evaluate the salt-flank prospect on the western side of Kangaroo salt structure. Kangaroo West-1 is located about 4.5 km from Kangaroo-2. Due to its size and proximity to Kangaroo, a successful outcome at Kangaroo West-1 could add to any possible development of the Kangaroo oil field.
Kangaroo West-1 is located on the western flank of the same salt structure as Kangaroo-1 and has the same trap type and reservoir and seal intervals that have been mapped into the prospect from surrounding wells.
The exploration and appraisal drilling campaign is expected to continue through the first half of 2015.
Karoon is the operator and has a 65% interest in the jointly held block S-M-1165. Pacific Rubiales Energy Corp. holds the remaining 35% interest.