Shell’s Olympus TLP in place, on target for 2014 startup

Offshore staff

HOUSTON – Shell’s Olympus tension leg platform (TLP) reached its destination at the deepwater Mars field and was safely secured in place at the end of July.

The 120,000-ton structure, said to be the largest TLP ever developed for the Gulf of Mexico, is expected to start production in 2014 at a rate of 100,000 boe/d. Olympus, the centerpiece of the Mars B development, will be moored in 3,000-ft (914-m) water depths in the Mississippi Canyon area, about one mile from the existing Mars platform, which has been producing since 1996.

During a June 5 tour of the TLP at the Kiewit Offshore Services yard in Ingleside, Texas, Shell officials said the Mars B project is be the first in the region to employ an additional floating production system in a producing deepwater field.

“This is the first time in the Gulf of Mexico that a company has built another host structure to go in an existing field,” rather than using subsea tiebacks to expand a field, said John Hollowell, Shell’s executive vice president for deepwater.

The new TLP hosts 24-slot drilling unit supplied by Nabors Industries and includes capacity for six subsea wells to gather production from the nearby West Boreas and South Diemos fields. Noble Corp.’s Noble Bully I has drilled the top sections of the 24 wells at Mars B, and is on location to drill the satellite wells at West Boreas and South Diemos.

The project is expected to extend the field life of Mars to at least 2050, Hollowell said. Shell has said the field could contain recoverable reserves of 1.1 Bboe. Shell operates the field with 71.5% interest; partner BP holds the remaining 28.5% interest.

When Olympus begins production, the focus of the existing Mars production platform will shift to the field’s shallower reservoirs and to water injection. Olympus, outfitted with 15,000 psi-rated trees furnished by FMC Technologies, will concentrate on high-pressure reservoirs that range in depth from 20,000-22,000 ft.

Shell will install a third platform at its West Delta 143 gathering hub to link production from Mars B with existing pipeline infrastructure.

Heerema’s Balder deepwater construction vessel will be used to install the TLP.

08/05/2013

Olympus TLP
(Photo courtesy Shell)

Related Articles

Technip closes sale of diving assets in Gulf of Mexico

Dec 16, 2014

Technip has completed the sale of its diving assets in the US Gulf of Mexico to Ranger Offshore Inc.

GE to acquire Oceaneering’s Subsea Electric Actuator product line

Dec 16, 2014

GE has signed an agreement to acquire Oceaneering’s Subsea All Electric and Ifokus brands of specialty subsea products.

ONGC makes oil and gas discoveries offshore India

Dec 15, 2014

ONGC has made new offshore oil and gas discoveries – one in the deepwater KG basin off the east coast of India, and the second in the Mumbai offshore basin off the west coast.

Blue Ocean sets deepwater subsea intervention record

Dec 15, 2014 Blue Ocean Technologies has set another record for deepwater subsea interventions. Blue Ocean’s Interchangeable riserless intervention system (IRIS) recently intervened on a deepwater production we...

Fluid sampling, subsea processing help maximize deepwater development

Dec 12, 2014 Growth trends in deep and ultra-deepwater development demonstrate a need to increase hydrocarbon output while improving the asset's net present value. The new application of subsea fluid sampling s...

Trending News

Ivory Coast signs deals with ExxonMobil for two oil blocks

Dec 18, 2014

Ivory Coast has signed production sharing agreements with Exxon Mobil for two ultra-deepwater blocks in the Gulf of Guinea.

Fugro receives third and final vessel of series

Dec 18, 2014

Fugro has received the third of a series of three Fugro offshore coastal survey vessels being built by Damen. Like the other vessels in this series, Fugro Frontier is a compact, diesel-electric FOCSV designed for a variety of tasks.

African Petroleum enters first renewal period on Senegal license

Dec 18, 2014

African Petroleum Senegal Ltd. has received confirmation of its first renewal period on license Senegal Offshore Sud Profond.

MOS awarded subsea construction contract

Dec 18, 2014

Mermaid Offshore Services Ltd., recently renamed Mermaid Subsea Services (Thailand) Ltd., has been awarded a subsea construction contract in the Gulf of Thailand, serving an international fabrication and installation contractor whose end customer is an international upstream oil and gas operator.

Nexans dispatches first Shah Deniz Stage 2 DEH cables

Dec 18, 2014

Nexans has delivered its first subsea direct electrical heating (DEH) system consignment to BP for use in the Shah Deniz Stage 2 project in the Azeri sector of the Caspian Sea.

  Offshore
Digital Magazine
Look Inside
Cover
Current Issue

Oil & Gas Jobs

Search More Job Listings >>