HOUSTON – Helix Energy Solutions Group (NYSE: HLX) has a Gulf of Mexico oil discovery at the Wang exploration well in the Phoenix field located in Green Canyon block 237.
The well, 93 mi (150 km) offshore Louisiana, found more than 100 ft. (30.4 m) of net pay. It was drilled to TD of 18,300 ft. (5,578 m) in 2,300 ft. (701 m) of water. It is being completed and will produce via a subsea tieback to the Helix Producer 1 FPU in 2Q 2013.
“Preliminary data from downhole test tools confirmed oil in the Wang well with over 11,800 psi of bottomhole pressure. We are moving ahead to complete the well,” said Johnny Edwards, president, Energy Resource Technology GOM, a Helix subsidiary.
ERT is operator and holds a 70% working interest in the well. Sojitz Energy Venture Inc. owns the other 30%.