LONDON – African Petroleum Corp. Ltd (NSX: AOQ) and Kosmos (NYSE:KOS) have won provisional award of exploration block SL-4A-10 offshore Sierra Leone. The final award is subject to added negotiations.
African Petroleum submitted an application in March 2012, as part of the Sierra Leone 3rd Bid Round for offshore exploration permits.
The company recently got two exploration blocks in Cote d’Ivoire: CI-509 and CI-513. These deepwater blocks cover 2,531 sq km (977 sq mi). A 3D seismic program covering both blocks is under way.
African Petroleum also has licenses in Senegal over two blocks: Rufisque Offshore Profond and Senegal Offshore Sud Profond. The area covers 18,277 sq km (7,056 sq mi). The company holds a 90% interest with its partner Petrosen holding the remaining 10%. A 3D seismic acquisition has now been completed on Senegal Offshore Sud Profond covering 3,600 sq km (1,390 sq mi).
African Petroleum currently holds a 100% interest in blocks LB-08 and LB-09 offshore Liberia, where it has completed 5,100 sq km (1,969 sq mi) of 3D seismic data and where a significant discovery was announced in February 2012 at Narina-1 in block LB-09.
Offshore Gambia African Petroleum holds a 60% operating interest in blocks A1 and A4 where it has completed 2,500 sq km (965 sq mi) of 3D seismic. This is in conjunction with its partner Buried Hill Gambia BV.