RIO DE JANEIRO – Petrobras plans to christen the P-59 drilling rig at the São Roque do Paraguaçu yard, in Maragogipe, Bahia. The jackup will start work by drilling the Peroá Profundo exploratory well in Peroá field off the coast of Espírito Santo.
The P-59 was built at Petrobras' São Roque do Paraguaçu yard, where the P-60 platform, identical to P-59, is also under construction and is expected to be completed by August. The construction contracts for both platforms were signed with the Rio Paraguaçu Consortium in September 2008. These platforms are included in the Federal Government’s Growth Acceleration Program (PAC).
P-59 technical specifications:
- Hull dimensions (length x width x height): 74.1 m x 62.8 m x 7.9 m (243 ft x 206 ft x 26 ft)
- Living quarters: 110 people
- Total weight: 11,000 tons
- Drilling length: 9,144 m (30,000 ft)
- Water depth at site: 10 to 106 m (33 to 348 ft)
- Unit legs and shoes: three 145-m (475 ft) legs with shoes 14 m (45 ft) in diameter
- Lifting system: Driven by five electric motors at each leg vertex
- Derrick (length x width x height) 11 m x 11 m x 52 m (36 ft x 36 ft x 170 ft).
P-59’s drilling deck will sit on a retracting movable structure that can be extended out from the platform.